Started Dec 31, 2012 | Discussions thread
Muskiet
New MemberPosts: 9
Like?
Re: I looked through an optical viewfinder
In reply to WaltKnapp, Jan 2, 2013

WaltKnapp wrote:

Muskiet wrote:

I'm a first time DSLR buyer and after looking through tons of reviews I bought myself an a77.

The EVF was for me one of the deal makers on this camera, because it does have some nice features and I do think at some point this will be the future.
Sony is doing something new with the OVF and have improved it greatly in the a77 from what I read and I can honestly say that every Nikon and Canon camera out there seems to me to be the norm for the last 10 years with nothing ever changing.

Sony is doing nothing at all with OVF, they don't produce SLRs any more, they produce cameras based on their Cybershot camera experience which are all EVF, quite a different thing. Sony did not change from Cybershot and their video in their viewfinder choice.

You did not buy a DSLR, you bought a quite different type of camera, a DSLT, the letters do mean something. You have no experience with DSLRs and won't gain any with the DSLT.

When I buy something new, I'd like it to be at the top for the next 10 and not at the top for the last 10 years with something new at the horizon that is about to replace it.

I take it GOD told you the future. I'll almost guarantee the DSLT design will be gone real quick now, probably within the next few years, while the DSLRs with continue their popularity.

I don't think EVF is perfect, I do not like how choppy and noisy the EVF gets in low light conditions and I do notice a lag which makes it hard to follow flying birds, but I do think I can get used to it like others are used to using an OVF all their lifes.

And a great majority have used both and are experienced with both. (unlike you who have experience with only one type of viewfinder and assume your choice is best they choose based on functional value as a viewfinder which they have experienced in lots of variety of photography. SLR with pentaprism viewfinders countinue to sell so well because in what's critical about a viewfinder ie your connection with the subject they are superior. People choose what works best, and by a far majority thats DSLRs, some of the reason includes their viewfinders.

-- hide signature --

I'm Only Responsible For What I Say, Not For What You Understand.
-Walt-

I guess I'm sorry.
I'm sorry that me as a newcomer has opened his mouth to voice his opinion after saying "I'm the new guy" in a forum that is clearly filled with the kind of superiority and expertise in photography the likes of you but sadly, not in communication and people skills.
Sure... I'm also not showing much skill in either, but I'm also not pretending I have any.
ps... don't bother replying... I'm not going to bother reading it... I'll stick to talking to people in person, that's when they seem to use the manners that are lacking in every "expert" forum like this where questions are supposed to be asked by beginners and opinions voiced by experts like you.
I'm sure you'll reply anyways since you're probably itching to tell people why you think it is a good idea to behave like an @ss and talk down on new people who dare voice their opinions when they don't agree with yours, after all you're the expert and I'm just some noob.
I've seen many people behave like you on many forums, but they're usually frustrated teenagers in their mommy's basements who don't want anybody to disagree with their opinions on video game tactics.
I didn't expect that those teenagers would follow me to a professional photography website.

Canon and Nikon have been harping the same thing for about 10 years now, If the T4i tickled me with something more then just a touch-screen I would have probably bought one of those, I'm just saying I'm taking the gamble that in 10 years time I still feel I made the right decision with a camera that dares itself into this "CanIkon" market with new technology, I didn't say I know this, I said I'd like that to be the case, and I take it that since you can guarantee that DSLT's will be gone very quickly, you are the one with the direct line to GOD?
When reading about it I see many "experts" (just like you!) agree that SLT is gaining popularity and market share, but of course they're not you... they're all wrong while you are right.
I also see many "experts" swing the other way and again others pointing to camera's like the NEX series to be the future of digital photography, so I'd like to take the high road here and merely hope that I'll always be happy with my choice of camera (DSLT!, NOT DSLR! Gotta remember that!).

And... DSLT, DSLR... what are you, 10?
Except for the internal workings the bloody things work and get used the same way if you didn't notice (common.... give me that minute detail that you think makes you right to be that outraged at my silly mistake), but somehow you have to point out the all important "mistake" on not calling it a DSLT, well excuse me oh photographic genius for soiling your perfect DSLR by comparing it to my disgusting DSLT! And since I'll probably not use a DSLR in the immediate future I will always be inferior in my understanding of the complexities of a "real" camera.
Oh...btw... besides having played with other people's DSLR's I also own a 35mm SLR Fujica which I've used on and off... and even though I'm not an expert on it, it doesn't get much more OVF and manual than that.

Wow... don't all beat up on me at once!
I'm just saying I've chosen a camera with EVF, I'm getting used to it and it's what I like, just like others are used to OVF's and because of that like OVF's better.
There's also lots of people who have written about trying EVF and never wanting to go back to OVF again, just as much as I have read about people who'd rather stick with OVF.
Reading your post makes me wonder if I should re-phrase my original comment, because you clearly didn't understand the point I'm trying to make:
As a new higher end digital camera person, after trying just about every camera on the market (what... you think I dished out $2000 after not even trying dozens of other camera's, most with OVF's to compare them to one with an EVF?) I happen to have chosen the a77 with EVF for afore mentioned reasons, I took care to mention that I don't think it's perfect, but it works for me and I'm sure I'll get used to it just like OVF works for others.
Like you said: "I'm Only Responsible For What I Say, Not For What You Understand."

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow