ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
phaedin
Senior MemberPosts: 1,147Gear list
Like?
Can you help me with a dilemma?
Jan 2, 2013

Can you help me with this?

I am looking at getting some prime lenses as the zoom lenses I have just arent fast enough for some of the low light situations I have been in recently.

My general philosophy about lenses it that all being equal, you should go for the largest aperture you can, as you can stop down a lens, but you cant stop up a lens more than the max aperture.

Obviously there are some caveats to this

So here is my Dilemma I am looking at getting a Sony 50mm F1.4 used, but for about the same price I can get a Minolta 50mm F1.7(used obviously) and a Sony DT 35mm F1.8(new)

Is having the F1.4 that much better than F1.7 (it is only half a stop), but I dont have enough experience to know how much real world difference that would make.

I can "calculate" the difference so (for example) at same shutter speed the ISO would drop from ISO 1600 to ISO 1200 or at the same ISO the shutter speed would increase from 1/250 sec to 1/375 sec (If I am understanding it correctly)

I would also like to "future proof"  and get full frame compatible lenses, incase I want to move in that direction in the future, but the Sony DT 35mm isnt, but I think the Minolta 50mm is ?

As per usual it comes down to budget and compromising costs VS benefits and my pros VS cons list is tied

any other points of view or advice from experience would be much appreciated

Thanks in Advance

Mike

phaedin's gear list:phaedin's gear list
Nikon D7100 Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM Tamron SP 70-200mm F/2.8 Di VC USD
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow