D600 vs. D800... which one is the most balanced camera?

Started Jan 1, 2013 | Discussions thread
chlamchowder
Senior MemberPosts: 2,075Gear list
Like?
Pretty strong plastic mount (300/2.8 = no problem)
In reply to Epic Light, Jan 2, 2013

The mount isn't plastic. It's a metal mount. The part of the camera around the mount is plastic, but I've observed no flexing with a 300/2.8 hanging off the D600 (both hands on camera to review images). My 80-200/2.8 AF-S doesn't flex the mount either when it's hanging off the camera. I don't know how you managed to get the mount to flex...maybe an unsupported 600/4 or 800/5.6 would do it? But I don't have one of those to try out, and I don't know anyone in their right mind who would use a lens like that without support.

But if you do try to dangle a 600/4 or 800/5.6 off your camera without support, the D600's plastic construction will likely allow it to survive, while a D800 wouldn't. Plastic can recover after bending and flexing under stress, but metal can develop cracks.

Just by the way, no one shoots a 80-200/2.8 or 300/2.8 without supporting the lens with their left hand. I mean...you can...it's just extremely uncomfortable and unstable.

chlamchowder's gear list:chlamchowder's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A580 Nikon D600 Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow