Micro four thirds - does the crop factor apply to MFT lenses as well?

Started Dec 29, 2012 | Questions thread
CharlesB58
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,622
Like?
Re: Charles, three quick questions for you:
In reply to Great Bustard, Jan 2, 2013

Great Bustard wrote:

The thing is, one cannot explain what "f/2 = f/2 = f/2" is meaningless if people do not understand what exposure actually is. So, since it's a "lost cause" to get people to distinguish between the terms "exposure" and "brightness", each and every time, it requires yet another long discussion, like the one in this thread, explaining, from the beginning, what exposure (and total light) is, what its role is in the visual properties of the final photo, and what the role of the ISO setting on the camera actually does.

Perhaps you should consider that for the great majority of people, the enjoyment of both taking and viewing photos is based on emotional response, not intellectual grasp of technical principles? With that in mind, maybe most people simply don't consider your attempts at "education" to be as important as you consider it to be?

For instance: I've reached the conclusion that your "3 quick questions" directed to me were less about learning my point of view or opening up mutual dialog as much as simply a way for you to set the stage for your own efforts at showing us all your depth of knowledge. If that's the case, you're simply patronizing people here. If I'm mistaken, then understand my perspective:

As far as I'm concerned the technical aspects of the difference between exposure and brightness are, and always will be, secondary to how my final images look. Photography is an art form which depends heavily on technology. As such, it attracts a lot of technology minded people (who aren't necessarily adept at the artistic aspect of photography.) The technology is secondary to the intention of the photographer in producing the image. That goal is invariably to communicate information and/or evoke certain, often specific, emotions and thoughts in the viewer. The average person is only impressed by technique to the degree it stimulates or aids the emotional response they have to the image.

Belaboring points about technical aspects, without adequately demonstrating how they will aid in the actual purpose of the photograph, is like explaining how an internal combustion engine works to someone who simply wants directions to get across town.

-- hide signature --

Some people operate cameras. Others use them to create images. There is a difference.
http://ikkens.zenfolio.com/
http://sarob-w.deviantart.com/

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow