To FF or not?

Started Dec 30, 2012 | Questions thread
Noogy
Senior MemberPosts: 1,453Gear list
Like?
Re: To FF or not?
In reply to sebek911, Jan 2, 2013

sebek911 wrote:

I currently own a Fuji X100 as my walk around camera and would like to buy either a 7d or 5D II As I will use it 50/50 for photos and short filmmaking. A few questions:

1. If I use the 50mm 1.8 EF lens on both cameras, will the image and video quality be much better on the 5D?

2. Will the FOV be 50mm on the 5D even though the lens is not FF?

3. What is the least expensive FF lens for the 5D?

4. Do you feel if I won't be able to afford a FF lens for a year, it will be a waste to buy the 5D?

thx

Compared to the Fuji X100, yes - the video on both 5D and 7D will be much better. You will have more flexibility in terms of recording options too.

Your second question is a bit vague. The 50mm will work on both the 5D and the 7D because it is an EF lens as already mentioned by people who commented earlier. The FOV will not be the same. To add, background blur will be smoother on the 5D.

Least expensive Canon lenses for Canon FF cameras are probably the 50mm f/1.8 and the 40mm f/2.8 STM pancake.

If you won't be able to afford to buy a full frame camera, there are several APS-C cameras out there that are pretty capable. However, none of them will give you the imaqe and video quality of a full frame camera, but some of them come quite close. I recently upgraded to full frame from the 7D because of image quality. I miss a lot of the features of the 7D in my new full frame camera, but not enough for me to regret having such awesome image quality at my disposal right now.

-- hide signature --

JCC
"Photography is therapeutic."
http://www.pbase.com/joshcruzphotos

Noogy's gear list:Noogy's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Sony Alpha NEX-5 Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 100D Canon EF 20mm f/2.8 USM +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow