Hogan, Camera Critic, abandons long-time hiking partner Nikon DX in wilderness

Started Jan 1, 2013 | Discussions thread
Son Of Waldo
Regular MemberPosts: 260
Like?
Re: Hogan, Camera Critic, abandons long-time hiking partner Nikon DX in wilderness
In reply to mosswings, Jan 2, 2013

mosswings wrote:

Thom Hogan, respected author of numerous Nikon camera equipment guides and noted commentator on the camera industry, confirmed suspicions that his relationship with Nikon DX DSLRs, enstranged in recent months, has ended. Close friends and acquaintances had noted increasing hostility towards Nikon equipment in general and Nikon DX equipment in particular on his bythom.com website, culminating in the strikethough of his DX equipment list on that site's home page earlier this year and more frequent updating of posts on his newer website dedicated to mirrorless cameras, sansmirror.com.

Writing in a December 27th sansmirror.com blog post "Sansmirror Serious Camera of the Year ", Hogan acknowledged that the D7000 Nikon DX SLR he always partnered with on wilderness photo excursions had been replaced by a younger and more athletic Olympus OM-D EM-5. He specifically complained of DX's parents' growing lack of respect and its unwillingness to keep itself in shape, citing its persistently slow vision - never great - its steady weight gains, and its inability to perform significantly better than the Olympus in landscapes.

4:3 instead of 3:2 aspect ratios for landscape? Really?

I can understand (like many) the frustration over what is perceived as slow growth in DX lens development. Nikon for one however, are having to spread their R&D dollars over (now three) different interchangeable lens formats in a still slowing and very competitive worldwide market. BTW, how's that EM-5 handle with a quickly mounted hot shoe flash (and powerful while we're at it too - hello SB-800) ???

Apparently, Hogan has also now decided to engage in open relationships. He admits to spending most of his time at home, in urban settings, sports venues, and studios with the large-sensored cousins of the D7000, D600 and D800 Nikon FX, claiming that their performance there is far more satisfying even though they're far higher maintenance, have a serious weight problem, and can't see without extremely expensive prescription lenses. But the Olympus OM-D EM-5 is now always at his side when he ventures to his favorite environment, nature.

The Nikon DX family could not be reached for comment.

Arguing or pondering over what someone else will or will nor be using is pretty much a waste of time, IMO. I look at (and own) lenses like the 20/2.8 AF and 24/2.8 AF and am all but assured that Nikon can (and will) develop some modern, smaller, very competent prime lenses (in the meantime - many of the older F-mount lenses are cheap, solid, plentiful with excellent central sharpness).

I'm still 'stuck' with older DX technology (D90, Tokina 12-24/4 1st version , oh my!), and I fail to see how DX will not be able to compete (and sooner than later, see 24 mpx DX) with the 'backwoods / long hikes' type cameras:

• a 12-24 type lens covers a lot of ground with DX and will be all the wide angle many (or most) will ever need. Are they absolutely as good as they can get yet(?), I doubt it.

• as experts in the field of small, sharp zooms (IMO), Nikon can (and should) take a lens like the (excellent) 55-200 VR, making some small (but significant) improvements, keeping the size and price down as mucl as possible.

• they already have a small, sharp (and very good) normal with the 35/1.8 G. An inexpensive, fast, smallish 18 to24mm DX prime makes sense. I have no idea why Nikon have not released (or talked of releasing) a lens like this. BTW, where is the smallish 17-50ish f 2.8 Nikon zoom that both Tamron and Sigma have released? I doesn't have to be perfect, just sharp.

Now, about how much size, weight and money will I be saving with 4/3? I know, I know,what about the 85/1.4, 80-200/2.8 (and on, and on, and on) equivalents that 4/3 has been building upon (I need 14-400mm equivalent, after all, and always!!!) for some time? One never knows when quick portrait might be needed out in the middle of nowhere (I'll take a small, sharp macro personally however - see Nikon 40/2.8G.)...

4/3 might have become a way of life for some (see DPReview 4/3 fanatical, defensive, fanboy forums), among the only real advantages I can find personally are with some smallish telephoto options (and BTW, don't bother with the big f2 zooms Olympus, the balancing must be ridiculously poor on that handy OM-5). And finally, the 4/3 system is now closer to the pinnacle of what can be done with a given sensor size (and similar sensor technologies) than APS-C currently is, IMO.

Any questions?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow