Started Dec 30, 2012 | Questions thread
jkjond
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,772
Like?
Re: Choose a full system
In reply to GalaxyIII, Jan 1, 2013

GalaxyIII wrote:

eNo wrote:

I'm glad you're using the word "system," which means (a) you're pretty thoughtful about what you're buying and (b) you understand that it's about more than the body. IMO, if you want a full system, Canon or Nikon are then only DSLR players worth considering. Others don't have a full lens line-up, even considering 3rd party lenses, and they also fall short on the flash/speedlight end, where I think Canon has a slight edge right now thanks to their recently added radio triggering. Then, it's about comparing capabilities, where I think Nikon holds a slight to significant edge (depending on who you ask and what they're shooting) in AF performance (at the top end) and high ISO/low noise capabilities.

-- hide signature --

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Home page: http://imagesbyeduardo.com/main/
Seeking the heart and spirit in each image

Thank you for your input. You mentioned; Nikon and Canon are the " Only " players worth considering!

As I read your comments, I thought to myself that this guy has much different priorities than I do.. Flash speed edge and electric triggers !.. I said to my self this guy sounds like a Professional Photographer. So I went to your profile.

Ive said all along, I have no interest in becoming a professional or make any money trying to sell anything. I don't even want to seek that avenue.

To me, a 3 axis articulating live view screen is much more important than an electric flash trigger. I am old, retired and have bad knees, but want to get those low angle shots, without having to get down low or on my knees and have to have someone there to help me up.. also I don't want to shoot blindly over the heads of people at a wedding when everyone is circling the bride and groom dancing.

With that as your prime criteria I'd expect it to be very easy to narrow down the players. Once you've created a shortlist try posting that and ask for comments (i've not used any dslrs with articulating screens).

Also create a shortlist of the lenses you're considering for each brand and do a bit of research on those to see how your budget is panning out.

If you narrow the choice down to a nikon a canon and a sony I'm sure you could roll a 3 sided die and make a perfectly acceptable selection based on that. Cutting edge with all these cameras is going to be better than most of us need.

Is there a clear difference? People all have their own reasons for thinking there is, its all debatable. If one was clearly better than the others, then everyone would want it.

You have to understand that I am very appreciative of anyone who spent the time to respond to my thread. You are not the only one who has responded to me using your priorities instead of mine. I respect your professionalism, and the time you spent responding, but for me, there are more " Players" than just Nikon and Canon.

-- hide signature --

UK wedding photographer in the Lake District
http://www.johnleech-weddingphotography.co.uk
For my landscapes and fine art photography:
http://www.johnleechstudio.co.uk

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow