Started Dec 31, 2012 | Discussions thread
aspalmat
Junior MemberPosts: 40
Like?
Re: Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 EX DC OS or Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF
In reply to joejack951, Jan 1, 2013

joejack951 wrote:

aspalmat wrote:

a lens such as this without OS/VR/VC etc. Sure it's a f/2.8, but indoors, at night time, even at f/2.8, shutter speeds are still going to be slow enough that the OS/VR/VC seems like a must to me.

What are you trying to photograph? What will you be using the photos for?

Joe, mainly people.  People at family gatherings.  Birthday parties, Christmas, Thanksgiving, Easter etc.  Alot of time these end up being at night, indoors with poor lightling.  Unless I crank my ISO, which above ISO 1600 (D5100), the pictures don't look that good to me.  I end up with very slow shutters speed.  Shutter speeds below 1/10 of a second.  This is with a Nikon 18-200 VRII lens.  At those shutter speeds, I'm not steady enough to get good pictures without VR.  So I usually result to using the flash.  Which is better, but I don't always like how harsh it is.

So, I thought maybe the constant f/2.8 would allow me to go flash less in these settings, but, it still seems like VR/OS etc would be very helpful.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow