What can I say to up sell the prints I will hopefully produce over Lab prints?

Started Dec 26, 2012 | Discussions thread
Scott Eaton
Senior MemberPosts: 1,929
Like?
Re: What can I say to up sell the prints I will hopefully produce over Lab prints?
In reply to Craig, Jan 1, 2013

Not sure why the origin of the prints being discussed here are relevant from a customer's standpoint. Why do they care where it came from? That's the photographers issue.

Most labs are using RA-4 based digital printing because it's cheaper than ink and less buggy with high volume  workflows. A properly calibrated and state of the art ink-jet printer does have some advantages over RA-4. The main one being better native sharpness given the RA-4 printers tend to get fuzzy beyond 150dpi.

Pigment based ink-jets are also far more archival than RA-4 in my experience, but you'd need a lawyer to prove this in court.

More matte printing choices with ink-jet. However, Fuji just released a matte based RA-4 paper that's a dead ringer for Epson HWM.

Ink-Jet's real advantage is simply more immediate printing, and some other niche' options like thermal transferring. I hate to say it but by and large most photogs simply aren't good enough to exploit the technical advantages that ink-jet has over RA-4, subtle as they are.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow