New Year's Wish - Laser Range Finding AF system?

Started Jan 1, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Eigenmeat
Regular MemberPosts: 447Gear list
Like?
New Year's Wish - Laser Range Finding AF system?
Jan 1, 2013

The current mainstream AF techs -CDAF and PDAF- both have their short comings. CDAF is accurate, but it lacks in movement tracking and the ability to AF to a small single "point" on the frame. PDAF is fast, but lacks accuracy/consistency(atleast at the mid/low end bodies I experienced so far).

With laser range finder so cheap these days(~100$), why can't they be integrated to a camera? You measure the distance to the subject via the laser range finder, and set the lens to that focus distance, done. No guess work, no need for contrast(both CDAF and PDAF relies on contrast to set focus), works in any light level. Laser range finder can also make many measurements per second and use Doppler effect to measure speed, so it should work well for movement tracking also.

I understand that there will be other challenges, such as being center point only(?) and parallax error at close range(through the lens Laser range finder?). It's certainly very plausible in my opinion, what do you guys think?

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow