Anyone own A99 and A77

Started Dec 30, 2012 | Discussions thread
3sgilbert
Senior MemberPosts: 1,183Gear list
Like?
Re: Anyone own A99 and A77
In reply to GalaxyIII, Dec 31, 2012

The Nikon d800 is the best performing camera under $3000 ever made. You seemed to think people were being a bit obtuse in asking what kind of shooting interest the reason being matching the tool for the job. The reason I am even writing a response is your consternation and desire to have one good camera to do everything.  The d800 has the highest resolution best performing sensor, it really does have a d7000 inside it ( like you refer to the a99 having an a77 in it which is actually a bad thing because they really did reuse a lot of the a77 electronics instead of jumping up a class in AF module like the d800) so its perfectly matched for wildlife like high end apsc cameras while still offering more detail resolution and sensor peformance in portraits/landscapes. It really is the most well rounded and single camera solution it also has better AF than the a77/a99 not in gimmicks but in the quantity,  quality, and adjustability. It also has an auto iso with minimum shutter speed and bias this would be a serious advantage for a beginner.  Now what it doesnt have is an articulating screen and that is precisely why I still have an a77, all hyperbole aside is strikingly useful and something in my non wildlife camera im not going to do without. EVF HAS PROS AND CONS.

That said Nikon released their 5200 with articulating screen they are due to release either the d7000 d300 replacement its not unreasonable to expect it to have an articulating screen as well. Canon is releasing their 7d successor to and they put an articulating screen on the 60D so....new camera s will be announced end of month at CES...I would wait till then I also suspect the a99 will drop in price around then. Its a fantastic camera too but if I were starting fresh at the full frame level its d800 all the way Sonys on roadmap is fuzzy on full frame support. Buy good glass and nikon will keep you in a good body but Sony could pull the plug any minute.... ect...

If you do go a99 it will do a variety of things well and the trade offs for slt feature set may very well fit you, I love the a77 for non action/wildlife it handles great and I dont find the high iso as objectionable as many...I know you have plenty of money but I would wait a month or two if you still like the a99 after the new cams announced grab it at a cheaper price. I would grab the cz2470 and the 70-400 and be set for everything from landscape to weddings and wildlife action.

-- hide signature --

Shawn
Nikon D7000 w Sig 150-500 OS
Sony a77/16-50mm( Wife ) HVL56AM
Sony a55 ( daughter )
Tamron 60mm F2 Macro
Sigma 10-20mm
Tamron 90mm Macro
Minolta 28-75 F2.8 Japan
Tamron 70-200 F2.8 Di

3sgilbert's gear list:3sgilbert's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon D750 Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II VC LD Aspherical (IF) Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G Tamron SP 24-70mm F/2.8 Di VC USD +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow