Is Renting a Lens Okay?

Started Dec 31, 2012 | Questions thread
Wallybipster
Contributing MemberPosts: 871Gear list
Like?
I've always rented before commiting to a lens over $1000
In reply to apwhitelaw, Dec 31, 2012

Sure, it may add a little bit of money to the overall cost if I decide to purchase the lens, but in my mind it's a small price to pay.  And I feel better about that than purchasing the lens and then returning just because it doesn't necessarily fit my style.

Even if all you do is take a lens out on a 3-day adventure, that can be more than enough to let you know how you feel about it, and if it's a lens you will be likely to use often enough to justify keeping it in your collection.

Plus, after a few days of use, even if I don't purchase the lens right away, I will know what it will do well and won't, and if I find myself thinking "boy, that would be a very useful lens in this situation" after the rental, then I may bite the bullet.  But if I only have that thought once or twice a year, then it was a good thing I din't spend so much.

Wallybipster's gear list:Wallybipster's gear list
Olympus E-620 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 70-300mm 1:4.0-5.6 +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow