What is wrong with this Minolta lens?

Started Dec 31, 2012 | Questions thread
jonikon
Senior MemberPosts: 4,796Gear list
Like?
Re: What is wrong with this Minolta lens?
In reply to Chioti, Dec 31, 2012

Chioti wrote:

Hi,

After reading many of the glowing reviews in Dyxum about the sharpness and colors of the Minolta 35-105 "old" style lens I picked one up on eBay to fill the gap between my 16-50 and 70-300G. However right away I got the feeling that something isn't right with this lens. I therefore decided to take a couple of test shots at 35mm and 50mm with this "new" lens and my 16-50.

Here are the 35mm samples. Besides the fact that the 35mm mark on the two lenses give me a different field of view and the exposure seems to be way off, can anyone please explain to me what if anything could be wrong with the Minolta lens?

Minolta at 35mm

Sony at 35mm

Thanks in advance.

-- hide signature --

Stelios

It appears to be "veiling flare" which is all too common with the old Minolta lenses, especially so in bright contra light. If you have a filter on your lens remove it. If you aren't using a hood, put one on. Otherwise there is no way to improve it. I quit buying Minolta lenses for this reason. The more recent Minolta and KM lenses have better coatings, but they still flare easily compared with modern lenses. Save your money and stick with the modern lenses with the proper lens coatings for digital.

I suggest you forget about using Dyxum ratings for the old Minolta lenses because the scores have been ginned-up beyond use by sellers making profits off the old lenses.

-- hide signature --

- Jon

jonikon's gear list:jonikon's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon D5100 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow