What is wrong with this Minolta lens?

Started Dec 31, 2012 | Questions thread
Calico Jack
Senior MemberPosts: 1,869Gear list
Like?
Re: What is wrong with this Minolta lens?
In reply to Chioti, Dec 31, 2012

Chioti wrote:

Calico Jack wrote:

Hi there Stelios,

What camera are you using? I'm guessing a cropped sensor as the 16-50mm is a DT APS-C lens and shouldn't be used on a FF body, so that being the case, the 35-105mm is actually 52.5mm-157.5mm equivalent on an APS-C camera (assuming it's a cropped sensor model), thus the 16-50mm and 35-105 will be different. Notwithstanding, if you have micro lens adjust on your camera, older FF lenses may need adjusting using LMA as no lens will be perfect on all bodies as there will always be minute differences due to the alignment of the camera's sensor, so you can also experience either back or front focus, though not necessarily in all cases.

In short, if you're getting clean images at the various focal lengths and apertures, I don't think there's anything to worry about. Your image links don't work BTW so cannot see what you're referring to.

35mm on the Minolta is actually 52.5mm on an APS-C camera, so you won't be able to compare the two anyway as the 16-50mm is maxed out at 50mm and at 35mm (52.5mm) on the Minolta, so there will be a 2.5mm focal length difference when the 16-50mm is at 50mm and the 35-105mm is at 35mm. I hope that might clarify things a bit for you, but if not, post back.

-- hide signature --

Mark @ Sonolta * Photography

Hi Mark,

It is an a77 so both lenses should be equivalent when they are both set to 35mm (i.e. 52.5mm). Anyway its a shame you can't see the pictures (although I see them in your reply!!) as this is not a focus or micro adjustment problem. There is something seriously wrong with this lens.

Thanks

-- hide signature --

Stelios

I've amended my post as I can see the images now. The 16-50mm is a DT APS-C lens whilst the 35-105mm is full frame, so 35mm on your camera is 52.5mm so there will be a slight difference in the FoV by 2.5mm. Check my last reply again to carry out the internal lens inspection. Also, look at the aperture blades. They should be dry. If they look moist or damp, then you also have fluid ingress which can cause haze, but do the inspection first to examine for mold, haze and oily blades. Haze and mold can be done in the UK at a cost of £40.00 + shipping both ways by Camera Repair Workshop (I don't know if you're in the UK or not), but best to phone Dave and explain and he will be your guide. I've used them twice, and they're excellent people.  I don't know what's involved regarding oily blades, but if the lens owes you more than £50.00, then it's not financially viable and may be relegated to doorstop duty I'm afraid.  Where did you acquire the lens? Can you get a refund and return it if not cleaned?

Get back to me please. BTW, I have a truck load of lenses if you're after any. See my listings under sonolta*photography on evilBay if interested in looking, but note my 35-105mm has some internal fungus, though the Minolta AF 28-135mm 'Secret Handshake' is a real beauty.

-- hide signature --

Mark @ Sonolta * Photography

Calico Jack's gear list:Calico Jack's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Pentax K-5 Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Tamron SP AF 17-35mm F/2.8-4 Di LD Aspherical (IF) Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD +28 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow