What is wrong with this Minolta lens?

Started Dec 31, 2012 | Questions thread
Calico Jack
Senior MemberPosts: 2,216Gear list
Like?
Re: What is wrong with this Minolta lens?
In reply to Chioti, Dec 31, 2012

Chioti wrote:

Hi,

After reading many of the glowing reviews in Dyxum about the sharpness and colors of the Minolta 35-105 "old" style lens I picked one up on eBay to fill the gap between my 16-50 and 70-300G. However right away I got the feeling that something isn't right with this lens. I therefore decided to take a couple of test shots at 35mm and 50mm with this "new" lens and my 16-50.

Here are the 35mm samples. Besides the fact that the 35mm mark on the two lenses give me a different field of view and the exposure seems to be way off, can anyone please explain to me what if anything could be wrong with the Minolta lens?

Minolta at 35mm

Sony at 35mm

Thanks in advance.

-- hide signature --

Stelios

Hi there Stelios,

What camera are you using? I'm guessing a cropped sensor as the 16-50mm is a DT APS-C lens and shouldn't be used on a FF body, so that being the case, the 35-105mm is actually 52.5mm-157.5mm equivalent on an APS-C camera (assuming it's a cropped sensor model), thus the 16-50mm and 35-105 will be different. Notwithstanding, if you have micro lens adjust on your camera, older FF lenses may need adjusting using LMA as no lens will be perfect on all bodies as there will always be minute differences due to the alignment of the camera's sensor, so you can also experience either back or front focus, though not necessarily in all cases.

I can see the Minolta looks 'washed out'.  Try this.  With the mount end towards you, open the aperture lever to open the blades fully and in good light (or using a torch) shine a light from the back through the lens whilst keeping the blades open and look inside the lens paying attention to the glass and the edges. You're looking for any haze or mold (mold looks like a spider web or dust bunnies that usually start on the edge of the inner elements. This is a visual inspection, as your image tends to suggest you may have haze thus making the image look 'milky or washed out'.

I hope that might clarify things a bit for you, but if not, post back.

EDIT: I see you have an A77.

-- hide signature --

Mark @ Sonolta * Photography

Calico Jack's gear list:Calico Jack's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD Adobe Photoshop CS6 Topaz Adjust +22 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow