4k kills the photography business? The Canon EOS 1D C shooting stills !

Started Dec 29, 2012 | Discussions thread
Richard
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,831
Like?
They are threatened.
In reply to Teila Day, Dec 31, 2012

Teila Day wrote:

Richard wrote:

Joe Ogiba wrote:

Does shooting 4k video kill the photography business or is it just another tool? Here, we have a guest post from Abraham Joffe showing how he shot stills with the Canon EOS 1D C – but by only shooting video and extracting the stills from the 4k video itself. It includes many comments from photographers and videographers like Philip Bloom, Sue Bryce, and others.

I posted this in a previous post. Yes, I think this will eventually end photography as we know it for event and sports. Landscape and snapshots may not be impacted because the benefit of picking out a single image from a video is reduced and not necessary. Photography that required more than 8mp images will also not be impacted I would think.

It will take time for the price to drop but yes at 8mp images in 4k video are enough for many applications.

That is the obvious, and simple truth. I am surprised that so many people just don't get it.

-- hide signature --

I see new technology as a benefit. In what I do screen grabs would be awsome. Do you remember how live view (which is similar to a video camera viewer) was considered a not needed feature. Well we are finding a lot of uses for it, preview of the image as it will look, just like video.

How about this, when we reach the physical limit to how many times a mirror can get out of the way of the sensor in a second where do we go from there for faster frames per second.

In reality, live view, 4k could be the end of DSLRs in the future. True autofocus will have to improve but it already has and will only continue to get better. That is a threat to a lot of people. Maybe even Canon, think about it does Nikon produce many dedicated video cameras? No but as DSLRs do better at video and live view, this market may  be impacted for Canon as Nikon adds more camera with video and better video features. Cut in on Canons video camera sales without Nikon making a dedicated video camera.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow