Flash triggers needed with D700 and Calumet travelites?

Started Dec 30, 2012 | Discussions thread
reid thaler
Senior MemberPosts: 1,483
Like?
Re: Flash triggers needed with D700 and Calumet travelites?
In reply to Sailor Blue, Dec 31, 2012

Sailor Blue wrote:

I don't know Nikon cameras since I use a Canon but if you can you fire the built-in flash with manual power adjustment then set it to 1/64th of full power and use that to trigger the studio strobes. The built-in flash will be so weak that it won't effect the subject lighting but you might see a tiny catchlight from it. The Nikon SG-31R IR Panel for Built-In Flash will solve that problem and you can use higher powers for greater range or reliability.

If you want to get away from the built-in flash then the Yongnuo RF-603s are a great buy. I also recommend buying two pairs. With one pair get the camera remote trigger cord, with the second set get the sync cord. Be sure the camera remote trigger cord is the right one for your camera.

Set up one pair of transceivers on one frequency and the other pair on a second frequency.

Connect one transceiver to one studio strobe using the sync cord. When adjusting the main and fill light powers use the other transceiver from that pair the camera in your hand, then place it in the camera hot-shoe when taking photos.

Use the remote trigger cord to connect one of the second set of transceivers to the camera remote and keep the other one of that pair in your hand and you can remotely trigger the camera. This is nice if you want to test lighting before you bring a model in or if you want to get into the image.

If you are shooting with a tripod it is nice to be able to look at the model over the top of the camera instead of through the viewfinder and use the remote trigger. It helps the subject make a connection with you and you can see expressions better.

-- hide signature --

Living and loving it in Bangkok, Thailand. Canon 7D - See the gear list for the rest.

I have a cordless RF shutter release for my camera, so if I'm reading your post correctly, I wouldn't need a second pair since I can trigger my camera remotely already, is that correct?

-- hide signature --

Thanks!
Reid
www.lumiograph.com
Kodak Brownie
Argus 126
Quaker Oats Container Pinhole Camera

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow