A37 or A57 with 18-135

Started Dec 31, 2012 | Discussions thread
Allan Crowson
Regular MemberPosts: 189
Like?
Re: A37 or A57 with 18-135
In reply to Pinksummer27, Dec 31, 2012

Pinksummer27 wrote:

Ok. I really want the 18-135 lens but am wondering if the a37 will suffice over the a57 for a price difference of $200. I'm new to dslr photography but really want to learn how to successfully use one. I'd like to eventually move into photographing other people's kids and portraits. I'm wondering if the new sony releases next year will include better high iso/low light. So should i wait? I know I'd have to move up to a better body eventually. I'd love the a77 but its over my budget. Anyone have any thoughts? I'd also like to get a 35mm prime as well. Thanks.

For someone coming into DSLR photography, I cannot think of anything in particular to distinguish the A37 from the A57 -from the point of view of taking photos and obtaining good image quality. For you, the main difference is likely to be the size. Their sensors and most of the image processing are the same.

Here are some other differences:

1. A57 has a somewhat brighter, and higher resolution, LCD than the A37. The articulation is different as well. I wouldn't say which is better, as some prefer one and some another. But they are different in that respect.
  2. A57 battery is larger with higher capacity.
  3. A57 has higher frames/second number.
  4. A57 has available on-screen level indicator, which A37 does not.
  5. A57 will take wireless remote, but I seem to recall the A37 does not (should verify).
  6. A57 has input for external mic, but I do not know if the A37 does.
 than the A37. They indicate merely some of the differences between them. It's up to you to decide which differences may be worth more money to you. Many people on this forum and others will say to save your money for extra/better lenses, which has been a sound approach for quite some time.betterNow, if you read through that list and say, "Huh? What's that?" or "Why would I ever need that?" then you should probably go with the A37 if you like how it feels in your hands. None of those items indicates that the A57 is 
I prefer the size of the A37, but went with the A57 for reasons 1, 2, and 3 above. I've since come to appreciate item 5 as well.
Other forum members may know of other significant differences. This comes up fairly often, and there are other threads along this line as well.
-- hide signature --

Allan Crowson

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow