SX50 vs G15 vs S110 - what am I giving up?

Started Dec 31, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
spenad
New MemberPosts: 4
Like?
SX50 vs G15 vs S110 - what am I giving up?
Dec 31, 2012

Hi All, sort of an open ended question but here goes: Looking for a versatile camera to use mainly for family pictures (camping, birthdays, school events, sports etc...). Photo mode is as important to me as video. Ease of use is also important as neither my wife or I are photo buffs (maybe in the future), we want to be able to catch good photos of our three little kids. Shutter lag is really annoying, but maybe a moot point now days (I am coming from an 6 year old Panasonic).

Of course the smaller the camera the better, but it's not critical (i.e. I could see ourselves carrying the SX50). I've read all the reviews and I have narrowed it down to the S110, the G15, and the SX50 (or maybe the Nikon P510).

The SX50/P510 - love the idea of the superzoom, I could see it being really useful but are the photos and videos any worse than the G15?

The G15 - seems like a very good all arounder.

The S110 - seems to have everything the G15 has just smaller, what is the downside?

My wife seems to think bigger is better (insert jokes here), so she can't seem to get that the S110 would be any good. We started this journey thinking and DSLR was what we wanted, but quickly realized that to get a body and decent zoom lens you are pushing $700 - $800.

To me it comes down this: if we like the idea of the superzoom, then it's just a decision between the Nikon and Canon. If we want to go smaller, then how to decide between the two Canons?

Thanks in advance!

Canon PowerShot G15 Canon PowerShot S110 Nikon Coolpix P510
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow