Started Dec 31, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
emdru
New MemberPosts: 19
Like?
Tips for shooting an equestrian event
Dec 31, 2012

I have been invited by a friend to photograph her and her horse during an equestian competition. I am using a Canon 5D MKIII, and have never shot one of these events before.

My questions are: Assuming that I am standing outside of the ring, using a monopod and either a 70-300 or 100-400 zoom with 1.4 tele-extender, what would be the best way to ensure that both the rider and the horse are in focus. I would imagine that the horse and rider would be crossing the field, or at most, coming toward me at a slight angle. I want to have background bokeh, but sharp focus on the principal subjects. I am also interested in trying to get several shots of the horse and rider jumping, and for these, I want to show a sense of motion by panning, but again, what would be the best aperture/shutter speed to try to get sharp focus on the subjects with a nice background motion effect?

Thanks for any replies or links to forums where this might be covered in more detail.

Ed

Canon EOS 5D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow