Which used lens for new T4i - Tamron 17-50 2.8 (non-VC) or Sigma 17-50 2.8 OS

Started Dec 31, 2012 | Discussions thread
ulmer
Regular MemberPosts: 270Gear list
Like?
Re: Which used lens for new T4i - Tamron 17-50 2.8 (non-VC) or Sigma 17-50 2.8 OS
In reply to brandonb22, Dec 31, 2012

I'm a fan of the Sigma option. It's a little soft around the edges at 2.8 but very sharp in the middle and sharpens up across the frame when stopped down. The OS is great to have and the focus is nicer than the Tamron non-VC.

The Tamron uses a standard, slower, noisier focus motor, the Sigma has HSM focus, which is similar to Canon USM. I don't think the Sigma has full time focus override though like Canon's USM.

I've also personally had issues with inconsistent exposure with the Tamron 17-50 that I did not encounter with the Sigma.

The Tamron has decent image quality though so if you don't mind now having stabilization and can hopefully test it out before buying to see if you like it, it's a viable option.

ulmer's gear list:ulmer's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5G ED +18 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow