16 - 35 2.8L used on Craigslist, thinking of checking out, is this a fair deal?

Started Dec 29, 2012 | Discussions thread
ulmer
Regular MemberPosts: 270Gear list
Like?
As another option...
In reply to 1boredguy, Dec 31, 2012

If you run across a good used or new deal, I really like the Tokina 16-28mm f2.8 lens. I chose it over the Canon 16-35mm II and find it to be sharper (especially in the corners) and all around excellent. Great build quality too and distortion is pretty low. It's also a good deal now even at full price, at $850 minus a current $100 rebate for a total of $750.

The downsides: This lens has a convex front element and a built in lens hood, so it doesn't allow for adding screw in filters. It's also a bit heavier than the Canon version and of course has a shorter max focal length. It's not USM, but it's also not very noisy and focuses quickly. When you're shooting at 16mm there's not too much focusing going on anyway since the depth of field is pretty large.

I love this lens. You may want to read up on it and check one out.

ulmer's gear list:ulmer's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5G ED +18 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow