How many Germans...

Started Dec 31, 2012 | Discussions thread
jivers
Regular MemberPosts: 277
Like?
Re: Posen speech
In reply to RobertSigmund, Dec 31, 2012

RobertSigmund wrote:

Great Bustard, I have already posted the text of this speech some years ago, but I see, it is again time. It is on tape. A speech by one of the monsters of history, Mr. Heinrich Himmler himself, to SS men in Poznan in 1943.

"I also want to mention a very difficult subject before you here, completely openly.

It should be discussed amongst us, and yet, nevertheless, we will never speak about it in public.

Just as we did not hesitate on June 30 to carry out our duty, as ordered, and stand comrades who had failed against the wall and shoot them.

About which we have never spoken, and never will speak.

I am talking about the "Jewish evacuation": the extermination of the Jewish people.

It is one of those things that is easily said. "The Jewish people is being exterminated," every Party member will tell you, "perfectly clear, it's part of our plans, we're eliminating the Jews, exterminating them, ha!, a small matter."

And then along they all come, all the 80 million upright Germans, and each one has his decent Jew. They say: all the others are swine, but here is a first-class Jew.

And none of them has seen it, has endured it.

Most of you will know what it means when 100 bodies lie together, when there are 500, or when there are 1000. And to have seen this through, and -- with the exception of human weaknesses -- to have remained decent, has made us hard and is a page of glory never mentioned and never to be mentioned."

Thanks Robert, it is quite chilling.

I find it quite probable that very few Germans citizens knew - most senior officers not in the SS were horrified when they found out (most hated the SS anyway).

Even stories smuggled out of Auschwitz by the Polish resistance were disbelieved by the allies as fanciful, whereas the German media was completely locked down.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auschwitz_concentration_camp

Scroll down to "escapees and resistance".

-- hide signature --

The process of observation changes that which is observed, hence you cannot photograph reality.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Eh?New
BAM!New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow