Let's talk about the rgb sensitivity in raw.

Started Dec 23, 2012 | Discussions thread
Mark Scott Abeln
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,834Gear list
Like?
Best practices?
In reply to DXOMARK, Dec 31, 2012

As a working photographer, producing photographs for publication, I find this discussion fascinating but also frustrating.

For a long time, I’ve understood that my methods of post processing are often crude and ad hoc, and I have to rely too much on my images simply looking good and not really knowing that they are good. That is perilous since if I am quickly preparing a couple hundred of photos for print, in my haste I may make mistakes which I may not notice.

I often strongly manipulate my images, changing white balance severely, greatly changing tonality, blending together multiple images and so forth. Some problems I notice are color shifts (red to orange or blue to purple) as well as inconsistent saturation — shadows may become highly saturated while highlights are not.

• What are the best practices for preserving color in image processing?
  • What software uses the best algorithms for preserving color, especially under severe manipulation?
  • Is there any good recent and understandable information on the human response to light, especially considering perceived white balance?
  • What software does the most accurate white balance?
  • What are the best practices and software for getting accurate enough color from the camera?
  • What methods allow for visually accurate saturation changes?
  • Any suggestions for getting accurate color in HDR or exposure blending?

I currently shoot RAW, use Photoshop CS5, and color calibrate my equipment, but I am open to other tools.

Mark Scott Abeln's gear list:Mark Scott Abeln's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Rokinon 85mm F1.4
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow