ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Pieter Van Damme
Regular MemberPosts: 147
Like?
B&W: 5D III vs 40D, pics inside
Dec 31, 2012

Hi all,

I've recently upgraded to a 5D III after years and years with my trusty 40D. All pics included are taken with the Sigma 50mm f1.4 at various settings and lighting conditions, so a direct comparison is not really possible. Yet I wanted to share some pictures with both cameras to see what you guys think.

When I upgraded my 20D to my 40D I noticed colours were handled slightly better in the 40D. Of course you can tweak things in post, but something 'artificial' had disappeared. The same is very true for my recent upgrade to the 5D III. The colours are so much more natural in 5D III pics compared to 40D pics. All of a sudden your own pictures have some of that "feel" of professional billboards and even tv series. You won't hear me saying the 5D III will make you a better photographer (on the contrary), but it just handles some things more professionally... as it should at that price tag.

Whether my findings in B&W have to do with better colour handling or increased dynamic range (or both) I'm not sure, but to me the 5D III b&w's seem to have more depth in them.

The pictures I include are not the best (I notice shooting full frame after years of 1.6 asks for a different approach, so I'm still learning), but do you agree the 5D III pics are richer / less flat?

Btw, the subject is my lovely daughter.

Regards, Pieter.

5D III

5D III

5D III

5D III

40D

40D

40D

Canon EOS 20D Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 5D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow