Started Dec 30, 2012 | Discussions thread
BobVell
Regular MemberPosts: 129Gear list
Like?
Re: Nikon 28mm f/1.8 G for Landscape?
In reply to kiirokurisu, Dec 31, 2012

kiirokurisu wrote:

fabgo wrote:

This lens has significant field curvature which makes it hard to get the edges and corners into sharp focus at infinity. This also affects the mid-field due to an oscillating field of focus. And of course it is a fixed focal length, and not a very wide one at that. Finally, I can not get this lens to focus properly using the edge/corner AF points on my D800 (probably the cameras fault). For all these reasons I hesitate to recommend this lens for landscape use.

I plan to stick with my 24-120 for landscapes. At f/8 I honestly can't tell much difference, and the zoom has the advantage of being able to go wider as well as longer.

-- hide signature --

Fabian

Interesting... I've read quite a number of reviewers talking about these issues, and I have to say I can't replicate any of these issues on my copy... maybe I just got a really good one. Especially the field curvature issue - I have plenty of landscape shots where the entire frame is in razor sharp focus, and I'm not doing any tricks to achieve this. I have occasionally noticed some softness mid-frame from that donut-shaped issue often reported, but not really in landscape shots.

I can't replicate these on my copy, either, even after making large prints to hang on the wall.

BobVell's gear list:BobVell's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow