To FF or not?

Started Dec 30, 2012 | Questions thread
Henrik Herranen
Senior MemberPosts: 1,661Gear list
Like?
Re: FF confusion
In reply to sebek911, Dec 31, 2012

sebek911 wrote:

I currently own a Fuji X100 as my walk around camera and would like to buy either a 7d or 5D II As I will use it 50/50 for photos and short filmmaking. A few questions:

1. If I use the 50mm 1.8 EF lens on both cameras, will the image and video quality be much better on the 5D?

It depends. In low light, yes.

2. Will the FOV be 50mm on the 5D even though the lens is not FF?

What?

Of course the EF50mm f/1.8 is a Full Frame lens. That's what "EF" means when Canon lenses are concerned.

3. What is the least expensive FF lens for the 5D?

The least expensive FF lens is Canon EF50m f/1.8.

4. Do you feel if I won't be able to afford a FF lens for a year, it will be a waste to buy the 5D?

Yes, it will be a complete waste of money because - as far as Canon lenses are concerned - the 5D mark II (like all Canon FF bodies) can only be used with FF lenses.

You seem to be confused about what an "FF lens" is. As far as Canon goes, all lenses marked "EF" or "TS" are FF lenses. Lenses marked EF-S are not FF lenses and cannot be used on FF bodies.

Kind regards,
- Henrik

-- hide signature --

And if a million more agree there ain't no great society

Henrik Herranen's gear list:Henrik Herranen's gear list
Canon PowerShot S110 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Canon Extender EF 1.4x II +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow