More Legacy Lens Talk!

Started Dec 28, 2012 | Discussions thread
captura
Forum ProPosts: 10,870Gear list
Like?
Re: More Legacy Lens Talk!
In reply to Michael Everett, Dec 31, 2012

Michael Everett wrote:

Let me suggest one 50 that has not been mentioned: the Zeiss Planar 1.7 (C/Y mount.) Many consider it one of the sharpest lenses made, and it is not expensive. The reason is many people prefer the Planar 50 f1.4, which has become expensive. The 1.7 is as good or even better than the 1.4.

For a standard walk-around lens I have not found anything better than the Canon Fdn 35 f2. The older FD's with the thorium element are also excellent, but man they are heavy. I personally like the 35mm focal length, 52.5 FF equivalent. I also prefer MF to AF on the Nex 7.

The kit lens, however, is good for something wider, as it's wide end is better than it's narrow end.

Michael

I might have a particularly good example of an 18-55 kit. And even better now with my 5R. But I did some comparisons to my f1.4 50mm MC PG and the Minolta was still very much better. Heavy, though. And I really like the tiny 45mm f2 MD which works well on crop sensors but was no good in the day because it was too small. It's a pancake, weighing only 120 gms.

Some of the 50 f3.5 macros are exceptional and I have the Canon FD version which is really excellent, as good as the 1.4's from wide open. Got other FD's and MC/MD's, too.

Steve

captura's gear list:captura's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Sony Alpha NEX-3 Nikon 1 S1 NEX5R Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow