ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
JHZR2
New MemberPosts: 8
Like?
Good situation -new D800 but just got a wide angle DX lens
Dec 31, 2012

Hi,

Long time lurker but I've never posted much.  I have a good situation, nth at I need some advice on.

I have a D300 that I love. Im not a pro, but love photographing nature, family and friends.  As a Christmas present to me, I bought a Tokina 11-16 2.8 DX lens at Adorama in NYC, figuring that I wouldn't get a new body for a few years.

Well to my surprise, I got a D800 as a Christmas present!  I did not expect that, though I've wanted an FX body since the D700 came out.

Though I've had two DX bodies, I've never really bought DX lenses. I mainly use the 24-70 2.8, and also have the 24-120, a 50mm 1.4, and the 70-300.  The DX lens I own is the fisheye, which is a perspective I love.

But the Tokina is a DX lens.  I wanted a really wide lens that didn't distort, as much as I like fisheye, for more perspectives.

Now, I don't mind spending good money on lenses, but the Nikon 14-24 is a real beast, as is the 16-35. I was reading about zeiss lenses, and while not as well reviewed as some others, the 18mm f/3.5 would be a good compromise of length, quality and size.

However, doing some reading and testing, the Tokina is good on fx at 16mm.

So am I crazy to be considering the Tokina over the Zeiss or a comparable Nikon?  Sure, it will vignette at any lower focal length, but it would still give me a 16mm 2.8 lens that at least reviewed decently on DX.

The Zeiss 18mm is about as much dollar-wise as I'd want to spend for a wide ankle lens that I won't get a huge amount of use from compared to my 24-70. Even if not as great as the 21, it's still a high quality optical piece.

But I've neither seen a real review on the Tokina DX at 16mm on FX nor have I seen a ton on the zeiss 18mm on the d800.

So I anticipate that much of this will be speculation, but I'd love guidance and advice. The d800 was a late gift, so I've not done a ton of pixel peeping on the Tokina at 16mm, but having shot it on my d300 for a few days, it did seem a bit soft - though that may well have  been user error as I was shooting a lot in low light.

So, with all that -recommendations?  Should I return/exchange the Tokina for the Zeiss, or stick with the Tokina at  16mm?

thanks very much!

Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow