Started Dec 28, 2012 | Discussions thread
GodSpeaks
Forum ProPosts: 10,273Gear list
Like?
Re: Regarding older Medium Format bodies
In reply to Bongo2k, Dec 31, 2012

Bongo2k wrote:

GodSpeaks wrote:

Now consider that for $3000, you could get a 36MP D800. That's a saving of $1500 over that 22MP back, and you still have to buy the camera AND lenses.

Just be aware that medium format digital is EXPENSIVE. I have shot with Hasselblad, Fuji, Mamiya and Bronica medium format cameras back in the film days.

I even had a Mamiya 645 AFD with digital back. I recently sold off all my MFD equipment and bought a D800E to replace it.

Just saying, give it plenty of thought before you leap.

-- hide signature --

The greatest of mankind's criminals are those who delude themselves into thinking they have done 'the right thing.'
- Rayna Butler

Now consider that, for the price of a D800 i'd be stuck with a D800 until i replaced it. Whereas for the price of a Hasselblad H series I could replace the back if I ever wanted to, maybe even going in to 50/60/80mp territory.

Yes, indeed you can.  However, such an upgrade would cost you substantially more than the D800 successor.

Personally, I prefer to put that money into buying top notch glass for my D800E, and which you would have to do anyway for your Hasselblad, at a significant additional cost

I'm just saying, think of the total cost of a medium format digital system, and what the future holds for it.

Also, do you REALLY need 50/60/80 megapixels?  I am finding that 36MP is quite enough.

With Hasselblad going with a rebadged Sony NEX-7 camera, how much longer do you think Hasselblad will remain a viable company.  Seriously, that Hasselblad Lunar camera has to be the dumbest camera announcement of the decade.

-- hide signature --

The greatest of mankind's criminals are those who delude themselves into thinking they have done 'the right thing.'
- Rayna Butler

GodSpeaks's gear list:GodSpeaks's gear list
Minolta DiMAGE 7i Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS4 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS5 Kodak DCS Pro SLR/n +39 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow