Started Dec 30, 2012 | Discussions thread
Malcolm Turner
Senior MemberPosts: 1,288Gear list
Like?
Re: Gary Friedman Blog
In reply to IanML, Dec 31, 2012

IanML wrote:

Malcolm Turner wrote:

Agreed. I was horrified when I did some passport shots for my daughter - unuseable due to lazy eye. It's back to 5D days! The A700 virtually cured the problem, and I assumed that the A77 would (if anything) be quicker again. It's rendered my flash set-up (2 x 56, 1 42) pretty well useless and I'm going to have to start saving up for studio flashes. If I could even fire the existing ones as slaves I could set the exposure manually, but that doesn't seem to be a possibility.

If you want a cheap solution for a manual setup, here's a suggestion:

Buy an old Minolta pre-digital flash on EBay (My 2000i cost £6) and mount it on the camera. It will not (can't) do preflash, but will flash in sync with the shutter. If you don't want its light on the subject, mask it with exposed developed colour negative film, which will block the visible light. It will let the IR through, to initiate some cheap optical triggers e.g. SYK-6 (EBay again) to initiate your 56s and 42.

It works, at a fraction of the price of radio triggers, which you could also use, but why pay more, if you were happy with optical triggering with your a700?

-- hide signature --

Ian

Ian,

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll explore it.

I should probably be able to use the pop-up flash in manual mode - I presume that will fire instantly as well?

Malcolm Turner's gear list:Malcolm Turner's gear list
Sony SLT-A77
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow