60D using onboard flash to trigger a 430EX II. Can you avoid the on camera flash?

Started Dec 30, 2012 | Questions thread
TStott
Forum MemberPosts: 69Gear list
Like?
Re: 60D using onboard flash to trigger a 430EX II. Can you avoid the on camera flash?
In reply to WilbaW, Dec 31, 2012

WilbaW wrote:

Mark B. wrote:

The flash must be popped up to fire, as this is how it triggers the external flash. However, assuming the 60D is the same as the 7D in this regard, the built-in can be set to not contribute to the flash exposure. Check your 60D manual.

Take a photo of yourself in a mirror with the camera set up like that - you'll see the flash in the image.

That's a great idea.  I tried it with all 3 modes Popup : Flash, Flash only, and Pop up & Flash.  All yielded the exact same result.  hmmm.  Both flashes fired and both are equally seen in the picture.

Neither of the external flash menu's work, I think that's because I don't have a true master on the 60D.  Not sure if that makes a difference.  I need to find my manual.  I usually have it in my bag but I was traveling and put it someplace "safe".

TStott's gear list:TStott's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow