Started Dec 30, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
X100: What is going on here?
Dec 30, 2012

This morning there was a nice sunrise that I wanted to capture. I grabbed my X100 and took the shot. As soon as I saw it on the screen, I could see clearly that the camera had not even come close to capturing the delicate colors that I was seeing with my eyes. It was very early in the sunrise so the camera's dynamic range was not challenged at all. The histogram looked great, no over exposure reported at all. Yet the resulting image looked awful. I am left wondering why?

Here it is:

RAW image, straight out of LR4.

The image looks like it is blown out on the horizon, yet the histogram looks just fine. The colors of the sky looked NOTHING like this.

So, I then processed in LR4. I was able to get much closer to the reality of the situation by removing -1.8 EV of exposure. This turned the whole bottom of the image black so I needed to add +80 to the shadows. Pretty extreme changes. The result is:

After processing image in LR4.

I guess I'm left with the question, why were the colors lost in the original image if the exposure was well within the cameras dynamic range? Is there something else going on that I am not aware of?

Thanks.

-- hide signature --

DISCLAIMER: The text written herein is meant to provide the opinions and/or suggestions of the author. No statement herein is meant to be considered law of the land, representative of any party or group, and or a quote from any party or group. Neither is any statement in the contained text meant to be taken as scripture, doctrine, or all encompassing of an entire populous or any groups or individuals therein.

rattymouse's gear list:rattymouse's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F10 Zoom Fujifilm FinePix F20 Zoom Fujifilm FinePix F70EXR Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X10 +9 more
Fujifilm FinePix X100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow