Started Dec 30, 2012 | Questions thread
pgb
pgb
Senior MemberPosts: 1,170Gear list
Like?
Re: DSLR Audio question - Canon 5D
In reply to ryan2007, Dec 30, 2012

ryan2007 wrote:

Not sure if this is the correct forum. I thought I would ask since the technique should transfer in this case.

I have an event to do a video shoot and I use the Panasonic GH-3. What I'd like to know from the Canon users who do video what is your preferred method of picking up audio.

The situation is this. The room is very large and I have limited movement to physically pick up the tripod and move camera position. I use the Rode Stereo Video mic pro. The room does have a PA system that I expect to be in use (I was told it would be). If I could follow the subjects as they move through the room I would but this is a "group" that is installing the groups executive positions in this ceremony.

I did ask about using a separate audio recorder in the far side of the room so I could try audio syncing later. I do have Plural Eyes 3 I got for free when I bought the Rode Mic. Should I try placing that recorder if it will not get stepped on in front of the PA monitors?

I would get a line from the PA into the second camera.  Then it's in sync with a master

locked off shot that can be used as a guide for syncing.  Run it on mains, use a chain and lock

to secure it to a table.  Request that the PA and operator is available otherwise the audio will be

average. Ideally leave the portable camera running to reduced re-syncing.

Syncing without a master time-code source can be a real pain in post. There was a reason why

Ampex included an audio track on it's 1957 VTR.

-- hide signature --

In the beginning wae rhythm but I had forgotten and was waiting for the beat.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow