Is it still worth shooting older bodies (assuming low use)?

Started Dec 30, 2012 | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
dgblackout
New MemberPosts: 10Gear list
Like?
Is it still worth shooting older bodies (assuming low use)?
Dec 30, 2012

I've got a stack of lenses but only one camera (a 5d mark 2) and was thinking of getting a backup.

I'm not in the position to spend heaps on a second body but I would like one in case my camera is out of action and possibly to cover high frame rate as well.

I've been looking at both the 1d mark 2 and the 1d mark 3, for the money I could get two of the mark 2 (£450-500), with little use for about the price of one mark 3 (£950-1100).

I know of the limitations of the camera and they don't really scare me off that much. I'd use it in decent light or with flash as much as possible anyway so that doesn't put me off that much.

The only thing that gets me a little is the battery, which apparently needs to be discharged and recharged but I'd just buy a couple of third party replacements so I could have a spare. They're a different type from the one I have in my 5d but that's not much of a bother, considering how long the batteries last on these cameras anyway.

I'd like to get into doing more burst shooting. Sports, wildlife, etc and while I have considered cameras with more resolution such as the 40d and the 50d, the crop of the sensor on the 1 series cameras would feel "closer to home" for more of my lenses.

Does anyone still use an older 1d body for this kind of stuff, and do I sound like I've thought this one through (before I go spending my money!)?

Anything would be nice

Thanks

dgblackout's gear list:dgblackout's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX280 HS Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 550D Canon EOS 700D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM +7 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS-1D Canon EOS-1D Mark II Canon EOS-1D Mark III
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow