Anyone switch from Nikon to the 5d3?

Started Dec 30, 2012 | Discussions thread
C D M
Forum MemberPosts: 57
Like?
Re: Anyone switch from Nikon to the 5d3?
In reply to dustyj, Dec 30, 2012

Not 5D3, but made the switch early this year from Nikon to 5D2 (primary reason: canon lens selection). I have to say that I wholly regret the decision due to handing annoyances that I never anticipated, some of which have been corrected to various extents on the 5D3:

• No metering updates while adjusting ISO. Shutter and aperture values disappear when the ISO button is pressed, so you cannot actively see how ISO affects these values. Let's say in aperture priority mode you're currently metering 1/15sec at ISO 100 and want to bump ISO to get 1/100sec, you've got to either do some mental math to get the correct ISO setting or just guess and check.
  • Custom mode settings reset on idle timeout. The custom modes are a great way to always start your shooting session with a default set of settings, but these are effectively unusable if you also have your LCD screen set to turn off automatically after a period of idle time. The idle timeout is treated as though the camera turns off. For instance, you may have a custom preset with manual exposure mode and your screen set to turn off after 30 seconds.  Now if you go to compose a shot, all of your settings (including shutter, aperture, ISO, etc) will revert to whatever your custom mode default values if you dare have a 30 sec period of inactivity.
  • Auto ISO in manual mode. This has been partially added to the 5D3, but you have no exposure compensation with this feature.
  • AE lock and hold. This has been added to the 5D3. Previously AE lock reading always expired after ~8 sec of inactivity.
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow