Need some product lighting help...

Started Dec 29, 2012 | Discussions thread
Lawrence Keeney
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,119Gear list
Like?
Re: Need some product lighting help...
In reply to InspecterJones, Dec 30, 2012

I just thought I would show one of my images from my attempt at food photography. This shot came about because I ordered and received an oil and vinegar set that was made in Italy, and I wanted to take a shot of the set. I thought I would add some bread and olives to kind of tie things together.

It took me about an hour to set up and take this shot. I had a lot of problems with reflections and lights reflecting in the surface of the knife. I ended up using a large piece of white foam-core above and behind the knife to give an even lighting across the knife.

In real life, the olives looked good, but I could never get them to look as good in the image. By light placement I was able to get some highlights in the olives, but they still look very dull to me.

What you see in the small dish is oil and balsamic vinegar, but unless you know what it is, I'm not sure it is so obvious.

With all my time spent on lighting this scene, I'm sure a good food photographer would say it is not that good.

As I mentioned earlier, food photography is not that easy.

All comments on this image are welcome.

Bread & Olives

-- hide signature --
 Lawrence Keeney's gear list:Lawrence Keeney's gear list
Olympus E-10 Canon EOS-1D Mark III Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 Olympus E-5 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow