A good laptop to work with photos

Started Dec 25, 2012 | Questions thread
MgrBuddha
Junior MemberPosts: 34Gear list
Like?
Re: A good laptop to work with photos
In reply to RanL, Dec 30, 2012

RanL wrote:

I'm considering the Asus UX32VD myself. If I buy it, I'll probably go with a Samsung 830 512GB SSD and 10GB RAM.

What I'm not sure about, though, is the processor (the dual core Core i7 3517U, 1.9GHz). How fast is it in handling big RAW files (using Adobe Bridge + ACR + CS5/6, or Lightroom)? Will there be a noticeable difference between it and, say, a Lenovo Y580 with the quad core i7 3630QM, 16GB RAM and a similar SSD?

Can anyone post a link to some kind of video demonstrating the speed with which the Asus UX32VD handles RAW files?

Ran

I work in Lightroom with 20-25 Mb sized RAW files, and for me the only difference between working on the UX32VD and on my overclocked 2600K, 16 Gb gaming rig is the screen size. The ASUS laptop with SSD and 10 GB RAM (1600 MHz, 11CL or better) will work just as fast as most peoples desktop machines.

MgrBuddha's gear list:MgrBuddha's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 14mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow