SAL35F18 for photographing baby/children indoors

Started Dec 27, 2012 | Discussions thread
John Tait
Regular MemberPosts: 164
Like?
Re: SAL35F18 for photographing baby/children indoors
In reply to elvineet, Dec 30, 2012

I'm going to agree with Alphoid that perspective distortion is a real issue and that perspective is determined by the distance to your subject, not the focal length of the lens you are using.  I usually want to be at least 6' from my subject and prefer 10' or 12'.  Of course it's often physically necessary to be closer.

Once at a specific distance I'll pick the focal length that frames my subject the way I want.  Indoors that usually means using 35mm or 50mm, but can be as long as 85mm or 135mm.  When I'm in close quarters it would almost always be 35mm.

I think your choice to go with the 35mm f1.8 first is a good one, but I also think you'll want a longer prime eventually.  I use the Sony 35mm f1.8 and the Minolta F1.7 and I've been very happy with both, although I would buy one of the better 50mm primes if I was buying today.  I guess my point is when you do want a 50mm lens, if money is very tight the Minolta f1.7 works well for portraits in low light, but if you can afford better get better.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow