Senior MemberPosts: 2,842Gear list
Like?
Re: Keep or Sell 24-105 f4 for 24-70 f4
In reply to technic, Dec 30, 2012

technic wrote:

jitteringjr wrote:

technic wrote:

jitteringjr wrote:

I read through all the posts and didn't see anyone mentioning the one known benefit of the 24-70 IS: the .7 macro mode. This be a normal zoom and macro lens for a lot of needs. Sure not true 1:1 but .7 is good for a lot of macro work.

remains to be seen how useful the lens is for 'macro'. My 15-85IS can do closeups too, but the quality is so bad IMHO (field curvature, very soft corners etc.) that I never use it. And 70mm is not a very convenient macro fl on such a system, I guess it is mostly useful for tabletop shots etc. (assuming the image quality is good enough) where one can control lighting, and less so for outside 'walkaround' macro shots.

Your 15-85 is only capable of .21 macro where this new 24-70/4 is .7. That's a pretty big difference. Also keep in mind that Sigma has been selling a full frame 70mm macro lens for some time.

I have two real macro lenses ... just wanted to point out that 'macro' or whatever you call it isn't very useful if the image quality is not there, and if the distance from the subject gets too small.

Well yes the image quality as a whole all remains to be seen, but the on paper capabilities for macro with this does look interesting.

jitteringjr's gear list:jitteringjr's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
No.New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow