Need Advice From Pros For System

Started Dec 15, 2012 | Discussions thread
slowhands
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,470Gear list
Like?
Re: Need Advice From Pros For System
In reply to RJSecoy, Dec 30, 2012

I shoot Nikon and Canon dSlr's, and had one of the first Panasonic FZ10's when introduced - In my house for Christmas before they were in the stores.  Lots of 8x10 and some 16x20's from that 4Mp super zoom.  CA was an issue.

Older Canon 40d and newer 7D are my main bodies now, with glass from 10-22, 24-70, 75-300IS, 70-200 f2.8 IS L, 2x teleconverter, and an old Sigma 150-500.  I've shot eagles thru Canon's $12k 600mm glass a buddy owns.

May I suggest at least a monopod since your stepping up to heavier gear, and a tripod is recommended.  With long reach glass of either brand, use good technique to control vibration and blur.

Know what minimum shutter speed you MUST maintain for the distances

Remote shutter release and/or mirror lockup

Keep LOW to the ground and sheltered to minimize tripod vibration, and reduce wind effects

When needed, take off lens hood to reduce wind effects.

Use a shot bag on the lens to dampen vibration

And - With today's megapixels and higher ISO capable bodies, I'm still excited what I can pull(crop) out of a long distance high ISO shot from either my 40d or 7d.  I currently have a collection from Yellowstone all printed at 16x20 in a gallery show, many are crops from the origional files.

slowhands's gear list:slowhands's gear list
Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 350D Canon EOS 7D
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow