yes another Olympus 45mm or Pana 20mm

Started Dec 30, 2012 | Discussions thread
Loga
Contributing MemberPosts: 808Gear list
Like?
Re: yes another Olympus 45mm or Pana 20mm
In reply to Anders W, Dec 30, 2012

On what basis are you claiming that the AF of the 17/1.8 is *much* faster than that of the 20? See here for some measurements of AF speeds with the 20 compared to other lenses, including the 12/2 and the 14/2.5:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/50110471

And as far as we can tell at this point, the 17 can't quite match the 20 for MTF values (resolution, microcontrast). Although I prefer 17 to 20 when it comes to FL, I'll probably abstain from the 17 and keep my 20 on that ground.

This is my guess, nothing more, since I only have the 20 1.7.

However, I have many m43 lenses, and the 20 1.7 and 17 2.8 are the slowest in AF speed. I wouldn't say they are slow, but my 14-45 and 45 1.8 and the 25 1.4 are all faster, at least as I _feel_. I did not do any measurements though. Somewere I read that the new 17 1.8 focuses very fast. So I don't think when I say that it will focus faster than the 20 1.7 that this is a misleading expectation.

Regarding to MFT values... Both lenses are sharp. The difference won't affect the quality of family photos, I bet.

And, if you don't mind the perspective distorsion, you can get closer to your subject, moreover, you can crop your close-ups too to achieve real portraits. I'd say that the wide angle effect looks good when the subject is a kid.

Personally, I don't think the perspective distortion looks good regardless of whether the subject is a kid or an adult. Neither the 17 nor the 20 is ideal for head-and-should portraits unless your purpose is actually to distort.

Okay, our preferences differ

Loga's gear list:Loga's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF2 Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow