Abrak
Senior MemberPosts: 1,287
Like?
Re: The Home Depot --- DXO ViewPoint
In reply to Bob Tullis, Dec 30, 2012

Bob Tullis wrote:

Abrak wrote:

Bob Tullis wrote:

I'm not with my production computer for the rest of the week, but I just downloaded the trial DXO and am putting it through it's paces. I'm curious what your workflow is with the two? I'm so comfortable with LR import with IPTC preset and renaming, and especially the round-trip process using external editor/plug-ins. . . is there more than one recommended workflow practice?

-- hide signature --

...Bob, NYC
http://www.bobtullis.com
/"Well, sometimes the magic works. . . Sometimes, it doesn't."/ - Little Big Man

Well I can tell you what I do. Unfortunately you cannot 'round trip' from LR->DXO->LR like you can with some external editors. So...

1. I import to LR (IPTC/rename).

2. Open DXO - browse to relevant LR folder with photos. Select photos and batch process.

3. Select 'export to LR' in DXO. Photos (I export as tiffs) now appear in the import dialogue box in LR with '-DXO' added to their name.

Thank you. I've been drag/dropping from LR to the DXO app icon, and figured out how to import back again before understanding where the 'open output images with. . ." came into play.

Using LR with DXO as an alternate editor isn't the chore I remember from previous versions. Works out quite nicely. I see the benefit of DXO for the landscape objectives already.

-- hide signature --

...Bob, NYC
http://www.bobtullis.com
/"Well, sometimes the magic works. . . Sometimes, it doesn't."/ - Little Big Man

A friend of mine who uses Capture One as an alternative raw converter from within LR offered this tip which should improve on the current LR/DXO workflow.

The current niggle in the workflow process is that you cannot open your raw with DXO from within LR using the 'edit in' instruction. This prevents you from round tripping the program in LR in the same way you can with PS or Nik. You current need to browse to your photos from within DXO to open them in the program.

This glitch can be resolved with a LR plugin called 'open directly' which essentially lets you open your chosen raw files directly in DXO or any other Raw converter like photo ninja for that matter. Of course DXO already exports your rendered files back in to LR.

I will admit I haven't tried it myself And won't be back at my pc for a couple of days but by then this thread will be buried.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow