Easy Lightroom Question:

Started Dec 29, 2012 | Discussions thread
Glen Barrington
Forum ProPosts: 13,445
Like?
Re: Lightroom Is A Total Mystery To Me:
In reply to Ray Maines, Dec 30, 2012

In Lr, you could do it either way, a physical move or just a logical move. Generally Lr wants to know where you've put the photo and then it will attempt to put it into some sort of logical context within the database.  With a database driven organizer, the organizer doesn't really care where the photo is so much as you keep it informed of the current location.  In Lr, the DB is the 'reality' of the organization.

Coming from ACDSee, it took me a long time to stop worrying about what folders my photos are in, and my folder structure is still 'sort' of there, though I'm far less fussy about the folder structure.  I now use a folder for the year the photo was taken and just dump new photos into the current year folder.  I'm not a high volume shooter, so this works well enough for me, if I were shooting tens of thousands of photos a year, I might want more folder structure if just for the disaster recovery implications, but Lr just doesn't care that much.

-- hide signature --

I still like soup. . .
Now that you've judged the quality of my typing, take a look at my photos. . .
http://www.jpgmag.com/people/glenbarrington/photos

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow