Need a capable Windows Movie Maker replacement

Started Nov 21, 2012 | Discussions thread
peweuk
Contributing MemberPosts: 537Gear list
Like?
Re: Need a capable Windows Movie Maker replacement
In reply to skyglider, Dec 30, 2012

skyglider wrote:

You can lower the realtime preview quality of Vegas Movie Studio to accomodate lower power computers but the final render will be high quality. It will be easy to learn to just do cuts, trims, mix photos and video, add transitions and add music. You can have up to 20 tracks which is way more than you'll ever need. There are tons of more advanced stuff you can do when you're ready to do them.

My recommendation is to go with the Platinum Suite 12. It's truly hard to believe how much one gets for only $48.99. There's no comparison between it and Windows Movie Maker which is a toy in comparison.

Sky

I agree - Vegas Movie Studio is a good deal at $69, and superb at $49 (was excellent at $29 but it wasn't available in the UK at such a low price). It is very rich in features compared to other low price software, is not difficult to use and for learning advanced features there are lots of video 'lessons' on the net (eg youtube)

Unfortunately adjusting the preview quality did not reduce jerkiness sufficiently on my Laptop which has

2.00 gigahertz Intel Core2 Duo
6GB Memory
Win 8 Pro 64bit
Nvidia Cuda GPU

However I did find if I created and used 'offline/proxy' files for editing it was very easy to exchange the lower res proxy clips for the High res AVCHD before final rendering.

Although this method adds the extra 'conversion overhead', for the amount of time I spend editing video compared to the other uses I put my laptop to I found $49 versus over $600 for a new laptop much easier to swallow.

-- hide signature --

My Gallery is here -
http://www.uko.com/photosdemo

peweuk's gear list:peweuk's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow