Senior MemberPosts: 2,972Gear list
Like?
Re: Printing: A Lost Art Form?
In reply to cgarrard, Dec 30, 2012

cgarrard wrote:

MisterPootieCat wrote:

cgarrard wrote:

Yep.

Making a print tells you what a camera is capable of- ultimately I say. If more would do just that, they might think twice about some criticisms leveled towards smaller senors. Mind you some aren't good, but the Sony's and Canon's are quite nice at this level and size with raw output.

Carl

I don't print much these days, certainly nothing like in the film days. That being said, I've got some really nice 12x18 prints from my Digital Rebel/300D with the measly 6.4MP sensor and more than a few from the PowerShot S5 with the microscopic 8MP sensor. When I started viewing the G10 RAW's at 100% I knew this was a camera that was going to spend a lot of time tagging along. I've got some 12x18 stuff that is indistinguishable from all but the 7D, and even then it's the DR that gives it away.

I'm enjoying the G15 a lot, there's a lot to like, right now the fine detail in landscape shots is the only thing I'm not completely happy with. But every camera has one or two warts.

Here's a shot taken with the G15 in the kitchen, the print on the refrigerator is a heavy crop of a RAW image taken with the G10 and printed at Costco for a whopping 9 cents! It looks like both cameras are plenty sharp to me.

I wouldn't say it's lost, but I would say it's unappreciated on most photography forums and most photographers. I agree btw on DR for the G10, it's got detail but you do notice the lack of DR in some shots and on prints. That's where I like the G12 to come in, when I need about a stop and a half more DR- and it makes excellent 13x19" prints.

Personally, I think photography in general is lost on most forums. I reluctantly get wrapped around the forum axle at times but try not to lose sight of what photography means to me.

Btw love the shot and the print above, very nice :).

Carl

Thanks, the G10 makes us look good without too much effort.

MisterPootieCat's gear list:MisterPootieCat's gear list
Canon PowerShot S2 IS Canon PowerShot S5 IS Canon PowerShot G10 Minolta DiMAGE Z1 Konica Minolta DiMAGE Z2 +17 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow