Question-Setting up focus squares on 7D?

Started Dec 29, 2012 | Discussions thread
elfroggio
elfroggio MOD
Senior MemberPosts: 1,765
Like?
Re: Question-Setting up focus squares on 7D?
In reply to kramericaman, Dec 30, 2012

kramericaman wrote:

Using the 7D and primarily shooting the following:

-sports (shooting mode-AI Servo)

-portraits (shooting mode-AI Focus)

-family/kids when we travel-general use (shooting mode-AI Focus)

How should my focus squares be set up in the focus area for each one? What's the easiest way to to do this when shooting between the three ways that I do. Just received the 7D and tried shooting in the above focusing modes with the standard Auto Select-some shots are sharp and some are soft. I use the 15-85mm and the 70-200mm 2.8.

I usually try to stay away from the AI Focus:

• In AI Focus, the AF assumes that the subject is static
  • If the subject is static, The AF will achieve focus immediately and that's it.
  • The subject is moving, the AF can't achieve focus, the AF then switches to AI Servo. Which is why, often the first photo is out-of-focus and the others are in-focus.
  • If the subject is static, then starts moving, the focus was already achieved when the subject was static, the AF stops. The first photos will be in focus, the other photos when the subject is moving, will be out-of-focus.

99.9999999% of the tie I use AI Servo with the AF-ON button to control when to focus. In AI Servo, the AF assumes that the subject is moving:

• If the subject is static, the AF immediately starts tracking the movements. However, the AF realizes that the subject is not moving and corrects itself to finally achieve focus. Which is why, often the first photo is out-of-focus and the others are in-focus.
  • If the subject is moving, the AF will immediately start tracking the movements.
-- hide signature --

Thanks
http://www.foto-biz.com
The Business of Being a Photographer -- Lightroom Q&A

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow