Quick Focus (AE-L/AF-L) Button method Question.

Started Dec 28, 2012 | Discussions thread
nixda
Senior MemberPosts: 1,876Gear list
Like?
Re: Quick Focus (AE-L/AF-L) Button method Question.
In reply to nonicks, Dec 30, 2012

nonicks wrote:

When you are in Manual Focus Mode and use AE/AF-L button to assist, do you hold down the AE-L/AF-L button (after achieving focus lock) while pressing the shutter. OR do you release the AE-L/AF-L button, then press the shutter?

In some situations I found that holding the AE-L/AF-L button while pressing the button yielded more accurate focus.

Also in some occasions, I notice when I release the AE-L/AF-L button then press the shutter, the focus distance shifted when I press the shutter. Anyone experienced the same thing? Is this a known issue?

Indeed, it's a bit funky.

1. I can reproduce with my X-E1 what you observed with yours, i.e., after releasing the AE-L/AF-L button and half-pressing the shutter button, the focus distance often changes.

2. I have also observed that, when repeatedly pressing the AE-L/AF-L button, the focus distance, as indicated on the distance scale, changes most of the time. Not a lot, but perhaps significantly.

3. I don't see a difference between keeping the AE/AF-L button pressed while pressing the shutter button and not keeping it pressed. The variability in the focus distance is the same.

I did my test with the camera held stationary and a stationary subject, so that the focus area is consistent. Thus there isn't any variation in the focus area that could fool the camera.

I haven't carefully examined actual images to find out if there are any consequences of this behavior.

I don't know whether this behavior is within acceptable parameters. If the variability is indeed real, I would assume that it can make a significant difference when using large apertures.

For now, it's probably best to take the focus assist feature for what it is described as, an assist. It'll get you close, but true focus will probably need to be checked by zooming in.

nixda's gear list:nixda's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow