Re: No noticible difference
In reply to MAC, Dec 30, 2012

MAC wrote:

Limburger wrote:

MAC wrote:

Dave Throgmartin wrote:

MAC wrote:

BAK wrote:

If you pick your ten favorite SW landscape photos, print them to 11 x 14, and frame and hang them, you will not see any differences that matter, between shots taken with the 15-85 plus 70-200 or the 17-70 plus the 70-200.

The same applies if you put your shots on a slideshow DVD and put them on a big HD television and sit on a chair to watch the show.

Once you get into towns, you may well find yourself using the 70-200 in the 70-100mm range much more than the 17-70 at 60-70 or the 15-85 in the 65-85mm range.

You do not need a new lens.

17-70 plus 70-200 is fine.

Get polarizers for both.

BAK

hmmm, you just thru water on his parade? he ordered one

Bryan at the digital picture does not seem very impressed with the 17-70, "While the Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4 DC Macro OS Lens has many things going for it, including good build quality, a nice focal length range, a reasonably wide aperture and nice price tag, the image quality from this lens is not all I'd hoped it to be. My goal is always to give you the information you need to make your own buying decision, but I highly advise that you check out the Canon EF-S 15-85m f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Lens review if you are looking for a general purpose zoom lens with a modestly longer than 18-55mm or so focal length range. "

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Sigma-17-70mm-f-2.8-4-DC-Macro-OS-Lens-Review.aspx

Dave

Bryan is the best!

ahh, you put out the fire

The Sigma's aren't bad but imo the 15-85 doesn't get you closer to God but closer to L.

it's top tier for sure as Bryan says. In Bryan's Review at the Digital Picture Site he handheld the lens for 1 second in low light and got a sharp shot. Between 15-23 it is only 1/2 stop slower at f3.5 than the 17-55 f2.8, and it is sharper wide open than the 17-55 is at f3.5. And it is sharper at the wide end than the 24-105L. Amazing lens!

-- hide signature --

Cheers Mike

I before called 15-85 +70-200 the dreamteam. It's that good.

-- hide signature --

Cheers Mike

Limburger's gear list:Limburger's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow