Why is Panasonic launching TEN compact cameras in January?

Started Dec 29, 2012 | Discussions thread
Airless
Regular MemberPosts: 295Gear list
Like?
Re: Why is Panasonic launching TEN compact cameras in January?
In reply to mgd43, Dec 30, 2012

mgd43 wrote:

Panasonic has been losing a lot of money the last few years. My guess is that by launching 10 new cameras at once they are hoping for a lot of publicity and attention from the photo community. With so many competitors it's hard to get attention.

Other companies seem to introduce 1 or 2 new models at a time.

No they don't, not with compact cameras. I guarantee you that similar announcements from Canikon and everybody else will be coming soon.

It's probably easier to promote 1 or 2 models. They can focus their attention and advertising on 1 or 2 models rather than spread it out over multiple models. One of GM's many problems was that they had too many models and couldn't properly advertise and promote them all.

I think that which strategy is better depends on the situation the company is in. Canon and Nikon get plenty of attention when they introduce any new product just because they are Nikon and Canon. Panasonic doesn't get that kind of attention automatically, so they have to do more to get attention.

Airless's gear list:Airless's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow